Sunday, November 4, 2012

Autumn update

It's been a while since I've written on my blog, so I figured it was time to dust it off and update.  I am starting my 3rd month as a full time artist and while it's been great, it's been scary too.  Back in August I left a 3rd shift job that was killing my spirit, both in what I had to do and the hours/times I had to work.  Since then, I've been a lot happier and I feel my energies coming back to me.  I've been able to do things for my family that I haven't had the ability to do in years and it feels amazing!  I know I owe it to all of you- because if you didn't like, share and purchase my jewelry and sculpture, I'd still be a zombie.

Of course, that doesn't mean that my new 'bohemian' artist life isn't without struggle.  Organization, something I've never been the best at, is So Much More Important now.  Self motivation and discipline are also in the forefront.  I have no one telling me what to do, so I have to tell myself.  It's great, but some days it can be hard.  I work on jewelry and sculpture throughout the day and evening, and if there's something "dangerous" I have to use like fire or certain chemicals, I wait until my son is asleep to do it.

Then there comes the uncertainty.  I know many of you will know what I mean when sometimes there's that doubt devil hanging out on your shoulder, just digging in with that little pitchfork.  Now that I am "on my own" there's no biweekly paycheck from that slave-away job.  This little devil likes to insinuate that I am selfish for pursuing my dream while my son and husband rely on me to help support the household.  So when a sale comes in I am absolutely elated.  I do a little dance, tell my husband, make a complete idiot out of myself because another bit goes into the pot and I'm that much closer to feeding my family.

So, Thanksgiving is coming up and while I don't agree with how the "tradition" was started (genocide and war don't sit well with me) I do think it's important to reflect and be thankful for the good things in my life. I am thankful for my home, my family, my friends, the artistic streak that helps me translate raw materials into pieces of art others find beautiful.  I am thankful for my customers and my followers, and those who have started out as clients but have become dear friends.  I am thankful for the collegues and mentors that I have met, the people who have encouraged and supported me.  I am thankful for my health and my happiness.  I am thankful for You.  Thank you.

What are you thankful for?




No comments:

Post a Comment